Sep 11, 2013

{Product Review} Oral IV - Rapid Hydration Ultra Concentrate

I recently tested out a product called Oral IV. According to the packaging, "Oral IV is a proprietary Bio-Charged Crystalloid Electrolyte Rapid Hydration Fluid comprised of complex pure minerals in a base of ultra purified restructured water." Huh? 

After reading the product's claims on its packaging and website, I honestly don't know how to feel about it. It sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo to me although it comes in pretty packaging. Granted, I'm not a medical professional or a scientist, so maybe I just don't understand it. But if they are marketing to the general public, one would think Oral IV would try to provide product information that is easy to understand. Oral IV was originally marketed towards military and law enforcement personnel and is currently expanding its customer base to include the fitness community. 
 

I received two packs of four 15.0 ml "doses" of Oral IV, which go for $12 per pack. I have used the product two times now, once after a run and once after an aerobic workout. Although you can take Oral IV without water, I chose to take it with since I was trying to rehydrate anyway. The first thing I noticed was the it doesn't taste like anything, which I think is an excellent thing. 

Other than that, I couldn't tell if the product was working or not since I was already rehydrating. The product is meant to be used as a supplement to your hydration strategy anyway and not meant to be used on its own. 
  
Ingredients: Purified water and proprietary complex of crystalloid electrolytes

More from the packaging - "Within seconds of contact to any mucosal membrane, Oral IV changes the conductivity of the cells of tissues in the body through its unique formulation and bioelectrical properties. By combining this select complex of crystalloid electrolytes, an increase in the bioelectrical communication of tissue cells can be made at the cellular level to a greater degree than what is typical in existing and commonly used electrolytes. This in turn facilitates changes in the biological reactions of the tissues, mediates their processes and maximizes their effective hydration capacity." Say what? Oh yeah and "This statement has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration."

What's my take? To be honest, I am skeptical of what this product claims to do. Although I didn't mind the taste and love the packaging (those vials are so cute and convenient), I find its claims hard to believe. Also, since it is so difficult for me to gauge if it actually works, I would be hard-pressed to want to incorporate Oral IV into my fitness regime.

Disclosure: Due to my affiliation with Fit Approach, I received 2 four dose packs of Oral IV from Oral IV for the purpose of this review. No compensation was received.  All opinions are my own. Read my full disclosure here.    

2 comments:

  1. Try taking it during your workouts and see if you feel better or have more endurance. I take it during my runs and since I started taking it I have increased my distance by 20% minimum. Taking it after your workout is really subjective and has nothing to do with the change of performance. Performance is where I think this product really makes a difference. PS I like the packaging too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the info! I will definitely try to take Oral IV during my workout next time.

      Delete