May 13, 2013

Week in Review (May 6 to 12, 2013)

If you follow me on Instagram or Twitter, you probably know that I have been taking advantage of my new found freedom from academic life.

On Wednesday after work, I headed to the headquarters of LivingSocial to make a terrarium. They are super easy to make and sound easy to care for, but I'm really bad at keeping plants alive. They are also so pretty to look at so I am hoping mine stays around for a while.



Then on Thursday, I visited the Samuel C. Johnson IMAX Theatre for the first time at the Natural History Museum. My friend invited me to a staff viewing of the 3D film Flight of the Butterflies. The film follows the migratory journey of the monarch butterflies from Canada to Mexico. It is visually beautiful!

Image: Source

On Saturday, Raisin Bread and I tried out a new-to-us Japanese place in Falls Church called Maneki Neko. I ordered the vegetable tempura appetizer and shoyu ramen. Definitely the best green tea and ramen I have had in the DC Metro so far!


Yesterday, I decided to take a different running route and ventured to Theodore Roosevelt Island. This was my first time going to the Island and I loved it. The trails were still pretty muddy from the rains we have been having, but it was a perfect day to try something new in the glorious weather. I would like to go there again and do some hiking or some more trail running.


My Sunday run also took me past Artisphere's Yarn Bomb public art project. How can this not make you smile? 


I signed up for a free 60-day trial of Daily Burn this week and have done two of their yoga classes so far. I am trying to get myself to try some of their other workouts but have not gotten myself to yet. I'm planning to do a more in-depth review of Daily Burn after I have used it some more. For now, here is what my workouts looked like this week:

Monday: Daily Burn - Yoga 1 (35 minutes)
Tuesday: Ran/walked 2.4 miles
Wednesday: rest
Thursday: Ran/walked 3.1 miles
Friday: rest
Saturday: 4 hours of spring cleaning
Sunday: ran 3.39 miles + Daily Burn - Yoga 2 (40 minutes)

Total yoga this week: 2 times
Total mileage this week: 8.89 miles
Total mileage this year: 134.99 miles

My entire family will be traveling to visit me this week for my graduation on Friday so my workouts this week and weekend might be on the lighter side. It will be the first time that we have all been together since November, and for that, I am excited!

Maneki Neko
239 West Broad Street
Falls Church, VA 22046

No comments:

Post a Comment