May 14, 2013

Cross-Country Drive - San Antonio to the Big Easy

I am fast approaching my three year anniversary in the DC Metro area. It seems as good a time as any to look back on how I got here. Taking a cross-country road trip is something that I think everyone should do once in their life and if possible take a leisurely drive.

My drive "across the country" wound up being neither across the country nor leisurely. The week before I was to leave the West Coast, I found out that I needed to work on July 1st in order to get my annual bonus that I had worked all year for and was no small amount of money. We had originally planned to leave on June 30th, so that meant I would have to work two extra days. After weighing our options, we decided that I should stay the extra two days. Raisin Bread would begin the drive as planned on June 30th, and on July 1st after work, I would fly to San Antonio to meet up with him. Poor Raisin Bread had to make the drive all the way to San Antonio by himself in two days, which were the roughest two days of the schedule!

As you can see from our route map, I wound up missing half of the country.


I also learned that giving yourself seven days to drive across the country doesn't allow for much besides driving, eating, sleeping and driving. 

From San Antonio, our plan for the next day was to drive 544 miles to New Orleans. Our day started off with breakfast at our hotel, with Texas-shaped waffles and biscuits and gravy. 



We made a pit stop in Houston three hours in to have lunch with my former co-worker and former roommate Christine at Goode Company Texas BBQ.



Sliced brisket sandwich for me!


The weather turned from bad to worse after we finished lunch. It was pouring down rain, which caused us to fall behind on our timeline. Can't see. 


Considering the rain delay, we continued on to New Orleans without stopping except to grab a Texas-sized drink.  


We checked into our bed and breakfast located in Faubourg Marigny and then headed out for a lovely dinner at Elizabeth's. The restaurant in tiny but we lucked out and were seated right away.


The food was also amazing. In my opinion, it was the best meal of our trip. I was introduced to the most divine creation: praline bacon. So delicious. My entree, duck with cherry sauce, was also wonderful.


After that drive all day, we were ready to hit the hay. We planned on staying in NOLA for two nights so we had a full day of exploring the city ahead of us. 

Goode Company Texas BBQ
8911 Katy Freeway
Houston, TX 77024


Elizabeth's Restaurant
601 Gallier Street
New Orleans, LA 70117

No comments:

Post a Comment