Jun 20, 2013

Learning How to Use a Knife in Toronto's St. Lawrence Market

Rebecca the Cruising Goddess and I spent an afternoon in Toronto learning how to cut things. Before the conference, I signed us up for a tour entitled "Shop with the Chef at St. Lawrence Market." The tour wound up being more chef-ing than shopping. While I know my way around the kitchen, I wouldn't say that I have great technique. Despite the number of television cooking shows I have seen in my day, I still learned a lot from this experience.

St Lawrence Market

Our knife skills class took place in the Market Kitchen, which overlooks the stalls of St. Lawrence Market. When we entered the Miele Gallery and saw these station set-ups of cutting boards, knives and veggies, I knew I was going to have to work for my lunch!

Market Kitchen St. Lawrence Market

St Lawrence Market

Before the start of our class, we were treated to some goodies from Carousel Bakery. I have been dying to try their famous peameal bacon sandwich. For the uninitiated, peameal bacon is cured pork loin rolled in ground cornmeal. I found the sandwich to be pretty salty and dry but I am so glad I tried it. To round out our snack, we had pasteis de nata (Portuguese egg custard), which I ate a million of on my trip to Portugal last summer. So yummy!

Carousel Bakery peameal bacon sandwich and pasteis de nata

After we enjoyed our treats, our cooking class began. 

Shop with the Chef

We were taught how to make different cuts for vegetables, such as a chop, julienne and mince, and how to prepare a variety of fresh herbs. We also were shown some tricks to preparing whole garlic cloves and how to make garlic paste. The coolest part was seeing how a chicken is broken down. I have never purchased a whole chicken before in my life, except to boil it. Maybe I won't be afraid to next time!

Knife Skills Class

Watch out, I've got a knife! 

Knife Skills

After about an hour and a half of cutting and wiping down our cutting boards, we got to eat some great food: a light salad, a vegetable soup and an amazing rhubarb crumble. 


We had a short amount of time left to explore the sights and sounds of the market downstairs. It was fun to see all of the great product available for sale every day of the week. I had a great few hours visiting this historical and food-filled sight! 


In addition to the Knife Skills Class, St. Lawrence Market offers a number of other classes, including "Make and Takes." Visit their website to learn more. 


If you missed any of my other Toronto posts, check them out:

Disclosure: I attended this cooking class free of charge as an attendee of TBEX. All opinions are my own. Read my full disclosure here

No comments:

Post a Comment