Apr 30, 2015

Eat, Work, Run in DC

DC Trip #4 of 2015 has come and gone. American Airlines seems to have changed their flight schedules, so I wound up at Chicago's O'Hare Airport for my connecting flight. When at O'Hare, it is absolutely necessary to purchase a bag of Garrett Popcorn. This time I got the mixed: half cheese and half caramel. All addictive.


I made it to DC on time and headed to work on the sometimes reliable DC Metro. No troubles this visit.

 

 These trips are always so short and tiring that I usually want to just go to my hotel room and hide, but I promised myself that once the weather got nice, I would do some running outside. Since I have a 10K this weekend and my knee has been bothering me, I decided to make it a short one.  I still managed to get one major sight in on my run: The White House.


If you have ever been to DC, you may have noticed how many statues of men on horses there are around the city. This one is of one of my top 5 least favorite presidents: Andrew Jackson.


Also nearby is the historic and cute St. John's Church.


If the weather is nice again on my next trip, I am hoping to put in a run around the National Mall. 

I flew solo for dinner at Nagomi Izakaya. I had the assorted pickles, hamachi sashimi and a mini salmon and ikura donburi. Hmmm....mini is right. I'm still hungry!


As I was walking back to my hotel and trying to decide what to do about my remaining hunger, I made a detour to Julia's Empanadas and picked up a Jamaican-style emapanada: beef, onion, potatoes and curry. Now, that's better!


I put in a 20-minute yoga session, watched two episodes of Chef's Table and called it a night.

The jet lag usually makes it really difficult for me to wake up in time for breakfast, so it is usually Starbucks at my desk for me. This time though I was able to drag myself out of bed and have a semi-relaxing start to my morning at Slipstream. I loved this place and will be back. Since this was my first visit to this coffee shop, I had a hard time deciding which toast to get, but finally picked the avocado and goat cheese mousse. The bread was so soft and chewy. I also got an almond cashew milk cappucino, which was not that great.


I used to complain about the sheer number of sandwich shops there are in the DC Metro area, but now that I live in Albuquerque, I often cry out at lunch time, "Can't a girl just get a good sandwich???" I went back to one of my old favorites: Bub and Pop's for lunch on Tuesday and got the Italian hogie with genoa salami, prosciutto, capicola, pepperoni, provolone, arugula, roma tomatoes, relish, mayo, vinaigrette and pecorino romano. Their sandwiches are so delicious but so messy. Did I mention that this monster is the "half" size?? I love this place. The food is great and almost everything is made in house.


The rest of the trip consisted of me going back to work, Metro-ing to the airport, hopping on two flights and making it back home. Well, see you again soon, DC!

No comments:

Post a Comment