May 6, 2015

Not Every Weekend [Update] Can Be Fun

Well, friends, I did not have the best of weekends.

It all started on Thursday morning. Gus the Goldendoodle decided to get violently ill overnight, and we woke up to vomit, pee and diarrhea all over his bed and crate. Let's just say that the bed was a goner. Two more non-solid poops and one with blood in it, and it was time to see the vet. After the vet heard about his symptoms and tested him for parvovirus (results were negative), she decided that it would be best to have him hospitalized. Leaving the hospital without him was so so heartbreaking. I was a wreck afterwards, especially since we had no idea what was wrong with him.

That morning, Raisin Bread also left for a trip to Pennsylvania to visit his grandfather and attend a bachelor party for six days, so that left me dealing with all of this by myself.

Carson was very upset that Gus was gone. He would only play by himself for about 30 minutes at a time and then he would crawl in to bed and stay there for the next few hours.


After work on Thursday, I went to visit Gus at the hospital during their scheduled visiting hours. He was in good spirits, but we still didn't have a diagnosis. We did find out that he was extremely dehydrated though.


I also visited him on Friday during my lunch break. We were locked in his room together because he kept trying to escape. Gus was so upset when I had to leave. The vet decided that if he could keep down the food he was fed that morning, he would be able to go home. They took x-rays and there wasn't anything in his stomach, so the vet thought he just got a bad bug that would pass. What a relief. 


Gus came home on Friday night and was acting like his normal self. Silly doodle. He was finally diagnosed with gastroenteritis.


That night began days of, literally, giving Gus medication around the clock. He had to take medication eight different times a day between the hours of 5 AM and 10 PM. 

On top of dealing with a doggy emergency, I also needed to prep for my 10K on Sunday morning. I also really really needed a beer, and I very rarely drink alcohol anymore. Carbo-loading begins!


On Saturday morning, I headed the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center to pick up my packet for the Run for the Zoo. I was in and out in about 5 minutes. There was not much to see as far as the expo went, so I just got my stuff and left. 


I was also in desperate need of a coffee after my first 5 AM wake-up time. 


The vet said I could slowly start Gus back on his normal activities if he was acting normal, so we went on a short walk with Carson and saw some pretty flowers. 


Gus needed an IV while he was in the hospital, which required them to shave his fur. They actually couldn't find his veins so three of his four legs were shaved. He looks like he is wearing leg warmers. So funny.


On Sunday, after another 5 AM wake up, I went back to bed and decided not to run the 10K. My body was really aching, I was extremely stressed out and I just couldn't get myself to do it. So no race for me this weekend. I was really disappointed because I have heard that this is a really great local race. It was the 30th annual running so they must be doing something right.

I had a massage scheduled for that afternoon, which I booked as a treat for myself after the 10K. I wound up keeping my appointment, and it was much needed. The masseuse said I had tension everywhere. She said "everywhere" twice.


Raisin Bread returned last night, so I will finally have some puppy relief! Gus's medication has now been reduced to four times a day between 7 AM and 10 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment