Jun 24, 2014

My Last Days in DC

If you follow me on any of my social media outlets, you know by now that I am moving back across the country. Raisin Bread and I are packing up and heading back west. We will be calling New Mexico home!

With the knowledge that my days in DC are numbered, I have been trying to soak up as much as possible before I leave. Since moving here four years ago, I have had a love/hate relationship with DC. Two of the things that I DO love about this city are the history and the world-class culture that is accessible here.

Over my second to last weekend in DC, I decided to visit a place that has been on my to-do list for a long time - the Library of Congress's Jefferson Building.

Exterior of the Jefferson Building of the Library of Congress
The Court of Neptune Fountain

This place serves a scholarly purpose but is also amazingly beautiful. I wound up hopping on one of the Library's docent-led tours to learn more about the architecture and artistic details of the building.

The Great Hall of the Jefferson Building
Marble floor of the Great Hall
Stained glass ceiling windows

Every corner of the building is decorated with ceiling paintings, mosaics, sculptures and more. 


Of course, many of the details focus on learning and scholarly pursuits.


Mosaic of Minerva (Goddess of Wisdom)
The Main Reading Room

After the tour, I decided to take a detour. Directly across from the Library is the US Capitol Building. There is even a tunnel between the two buildings.


But where I was truly headed was the Supreme Court building. It was a beautiful weekend. Just look at that blue sky! 


I even walked up the steps of the Supreme Court to check out the bronze doors. The bas-reliefs depict major events throughout history pertaining to justice.


My last stop for the day was Union Station, where I hopped on the Metro.

Columbus Fountain, outside of Union Station

When I got home, two of my bunny friends were outside my apartment eating some lunch. I will miss these little furry guys! 

Eastern cottontails in Arlington

No comments:

Post a Comment