Nov 5, 2014

New and Old Favorites in Los Angeles

Last Wednesday after work, I hopped on a plane for the less than two hour flight to Los Angeles. The weekend was full of family, friends, my favorite foods and Hello Kitty!

After my late arrival, my parents and I headed to Gardena for dinner at Lee's Tofu. I have been craving soon doo boo now that it has started to get chilly. My boiling bowl of spicy seafood and tofu sure hit the spot!


After dinner, we went to 85C Bakery, also in Gardena, to pick up some Taiwanese pastries and baked goods. I have been hearing so much about this bakery that I am happy I was finally able to make it there. I enjoyed not one but two of the buns the next morning for breakfast. Yum!


Bakery stash

Thursday was a solitary day for me. I am definitely an introvert and one of the things that actually relaxes me is exploring on my own. I headed over to Koreatown for lunch at Ma Dang Gook Soo for some cold Korean noodles.

I started off with an order of yummy kimbap.


Then I had a huge bowl of cold spicy acorn noodles with veggies. Waay too much food, but the noodles were delicious!


This was followed by a four hour visit to the Korean spa. I am not quite sure why, but this was my first time going to a Korean spa. I never made it while I was living in LA, but I felt like I was prepared for what was about to go down. I arrived at Olympic Spa two hours before my appointment time to make full use of the facilities.


After showering, I headed to the mugwort tea pool and then spent the rest of the time alternating between the steam room and three saunas. There was a dry clay sauna, an infrared sauna and a Himalayan sea salt sauna. I also made sure to drink lots of water and barley tea, rest and dip into the cold pool.

My appointment time eventually arrived. I had the "Goddess" and it was an hour and forty-five minutes of bliss. It included a full body scrub, massage, shampoo, facial and moisturizer. It felt amazing. After my treatment, I laid out a blanket and pillow on the hot jade floor and took a little rest before hesitantly changing and heading out of the spa. If you have never been to a Korean spa before, I highly recommend it, just make sure you read up on it before you go so you know what to expect!

Next, I headed to Melrose Avenue next to visit JapanLA. I was hoping they would have some Hello Kitty stuff available so I could just get it there instead of waiting for the convention.



So much adorable stuff to buy. I left with a new tote bag and pin (Hello Kitty, of course)!

I was planning to meet up with a friend in Culver City for dinner, and I still had a couple of hours to kill, so I decided to get a flu shot (lol!) and then reward myself with a boba from one of my old haunts, Cafe 70 Degrees!

Almond milk tea with boba

For dinner, we went to Versailles and shared their famous garlic chicken and garlic pork. I cannot remember when the last time I ate here was, but my memory did not do it justice. It was way yummier than I recall, especially the chicken.



Finally, despite how full she was, I somehow managed to convince my friend to go to Scoops Westside with me. My favorite Los Angeles ice cream shop made a great ending to the day!

The westside location has brown brown bread, versus brown bread at the East Hollywood location. Apparently, this just means loads more Grape Nuts. It was super yummy! I also tried the yogurt honey toffee.



It was a long and eventful day! The next day had even more fun in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment