Oct 7, 2014

{Product Review} Sensible Portions Garden Veggie Chips

Disclosure: I received a sample of Sensible Portions Garden Veggie Chips for the purpose of this review. No compensation was provided for this post. All opinions are my own. Read my full disclosure here


If you have not figured it out by now, I am always looking for snacks. healthy snacks to satisfy my mid-afternoon work day cravings. One of my favorite snacks is potato chips (or as I call them, "chippies"), but I usually try to avoid them because they are so bad for you.

When I heard about Sensible Portions Garden Veggie Chips, I was definitely intrigued as I had never heard of this brand of chips before. The new stackable Garden Veggie Chips come in 5 oz. canisters and are available in the following flavors:

- BBQ
- Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream & Onion
- Sea Salt

The chips have no artificial colors or flavors and no added MSG. They are also GMO-free and gluten-free. The Garden Veggie Chips are available exclusively at Walmart for the suggested price of $1.98.

For this review, I received a canister of the Sea Salt chips. During shipping, most of the chips fell apart, but I managed to find a few that were still in one piece.

Canister of mostly broken chips

Unlike conventional potato chips, these had a green tinge to them, which I couldn't decide if it bothered me or not.



In terms of taste, the chips satisfied my salty craving. The chips also had more of a baked chip texture than say a kettle-cooked or fried chip texture.

Sensible Portions Garden Veggie Chips are described as a "better-for-you" snack product. However, upon examining the nutrition facts, I did not find this to be entirely accurate. Maybe slightly better-for-you would be more believable?

Here is a comparison of the nutrition facts and ingredients list of the Sensible Portions Garden Veggie Chips and my go-to brand of chips (both sea salt flavor), which I will not name here.




As you can see, the Sensible Portions chips had slightly fewer calories and slightly less saturated fat. It has the same amount of calories from fat and total fat, but 2% more sodium. Additionally, my go-to brand of chips has only three ingredients, while the ingredients list for the Garden Veggie Chips is longer and has more dreaded "things I can't pronounce" than my go-to brand!

What's my take: While I did enjoy the taste and texture of the Sea Salt Garden Veggie Chips as well as the convenient packaging, the chips to me are not significantly better for you than my go-to snack chip. Since I eat chips only occasionally, I do not see myself replacing my go-to brand with the Sensible Portions brand. In addition, it is unfortunate that these chips are sold exclusively at Walmart because I avoid patronizing Walmart if I can at all help it. Therefore, they would not be available at the places I do shop at.  


Disclosure: I received a sample of Sensible Portions Garden Veggie Chips for the purpose of this review. No compensation was provided for this post. All opinions are my own. Read my full disclosure here

3 comments:

  1. Please help me find a store that sells these chips Walmart took the best ones original sea salt off their shelves and I'm going crazy trying to find them. These are the only chips I love to eat,Walmart still has the old sour cream and onion and cheddar cheese but I've been in to look for over a month now and they haven't even sold any of those flavors because I've been watching the top shelf it has overstock chips on them and those canisters haven't moved in over more than a month so that should tell you the sea salt sells so much better .bring them bavk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please help me find a store that sells these chips Walmart took the best ones original sea salt off their shelves and I'm going crazy trying to find them. These are the only chips I love to eat,Walmart still has the old sour cream and onion and cheddar cheese but I've been in to look for over a month now and they haven't even sold any of those flavors because I've been watching the top shelf it has overstock chips on them and those canisters haven't moved in over more than a month so that should tell you the sea salt sells so much better .bring them bavk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whether you have a small or large business, an effective ecommerce solution helps you to promote your products efficiently. It makes you able to attract new customers and deliver them online furniture India non-forgettable online shopping experience. Read the article to get more information.

    ReplyDelete