Oct 30, 2014

More Fun and Eats in Dallas

In addition to attending the State Fair of Texas and running the Carson's Crusaders 5K, my weekend in Dallas was filled with more eats, activity and hanging out with a special pup named Waffles.

After the State Fair, we headed by lightrail to the Sixth Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza. The museum is located on the sixth floor of the former Texas School Book Depository (now the Dallas County Administration Building) and details the life and death of John F. Kennedy. It is from this location on the sixth floor that Lee Harvey Oswald fired the shots that would kill JFK.


The exhibition was sobering and intriguing because it seems after all of these years, questions still exist as to what really happened that day.

Outside on Dealey Plaza, white X's mark the spots where JFK was hit. 


Also nearby is the John F. Kennedy Memorial.


For dinner, we headed to Plano's Tasty Tails for two pounds of cajun-spiced snow crab legs, one pound of shrimp and corn and potatoes. Tasty Tails is located in an Asian food court with so many noms that I wanted to eat everything. Alas, I only had room for Tasty Tails. We took it back to the sister's place to enjoy. It was so spicy and delicious. It hurts so good!


After we completed the 5K Saturday morning, the remainder of the weekend was pretty relaxed. We had lunch at a Chinese restaurant called Potstickers and Boba Tea located in Frisco. I must admit that I am quite jealous of the availability of good, cheap, authentic Asian cuisine in the Dallas area. I was very spoiled living in Los Angeles for so long. After living in the Mid-Atlantic and now Albuquerque, I understand what it is like to lack easy access to many of my favorite foods.

As the name suggest, Potstickers and Boba Tea serves potstickers and boba. I ordered an almond milk tea and the sister and brother-in-law shared a "Texas-size" green tea.


We also shared an order of pork potstickers. They were mouth-searingly hot and so tasty! We each also ordered bowls of beef noodle soup (one of my favorite Chinese dishes, which I sadly eat for too infrequently), but I forgot to snap photos of them.


For dinner, we headed to North Dallas's Sushi Robata. I have been craving good, authentic Japanese food. The Japanese restaurants in Albuquerque are, by and large, extremely mediocre and not authentic.

We started off with a parade of small plates: takoyaki (octopus balls), potato salad and I had a tarako onigiri (fish roe rice ball).


Following our appetizers, we had our sushi and sashimi course, which included yellowtail jalapeno, oshinko maki (pickled radish roll), and an assortment of nigiri.



As you can see, the menu at Robata is varied, but they seem to do everything we tried really, really well. To round out our meal, we ordered some fried dishes: chicken and squid legs.


For our last course, we shared the fried bananas and mochi. I think we may have gone a little overboard but it was so much good food! 


We also spent a good amount of time relaxing at home. My sister is a collector of many different things, especially Disney. A few of her collections include The Little Mermaid and Sailor Moon merchandise, plus this collection of Chip N Dale pins. 


Another special part of my visit was meeting their 2 year old Welsh Pembroke Corgi for the first time. Waffles is a cutie!


My final meal of this trip was at Mash'd in Frisco. They are known for their moonshine cocktails, but I decided not to have one for lunch. Instead, I had a delicious fried chicken burger with slaw, pickles and lemon aioli. The fries were disappointing though. They were way too seasoned. 



I am so glad I got to visit Dallas for the weekend. It was great seeing my family members, and I love Waffles! Hopefully, he and Gus will get to meet some day. 


Have a safe and fun Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment