Jan 9, 2013

Christmas Time in NYC

After finals were over and done with, Raisin Bread and I decided to pop over to NYC for the weekend! The weather was still mild so it made for a wonderful time for a celebration of another successful semester.

We arrived very late on Friday night and checked into the Aloft in Downtown Brooklyn. Thank you, SPG! Although it was convenient to the subway, I found it to be a pleasant hotel in an odd location.

It was close to midnight but of course, this being NYC, we found some late night grub at Bijan's. This place was low-key, welcoming and friendly.


I had their signature drink, the Bijan, which is vodka with pineapple, mint, elderflower and cayenne. Additionally, we shared some appetizers: eggplant and crushed walnuts, assorted olives, yogurt and shallots and Persian-style chicken wings. Those were some of the most excellent chicken wings I've had, both tangy and spicy.

The next morning, I went on my Brooklyn to Battery Park and back run. Afterwards, we journeyed over to Chelsea Market. This was my first time to Chelsea Market, but the crowds were so thick that we weren't able to explore that much. Instead, we really just wanted to duck in somewhere for brunch.


We selected The Green Table. We shared pigs in a blanket while I lunched on the vegetarian mushroom pot pie and Raisin Bread had the chicken pot pie. Yum!


Our afternoon was spent at another location that I had never visited before: The Highline. Let me just say that I love this place and think it is such a special place that everyone can enjoy. Later, we braved the crowds for some shopping at my favorite store, Century 21, before returning to the hotel for a nap.



The weekend happened to coincide with SantaCon. From what I gathered, this consists of dressing up as Santa Claus and drinking. The funniest thing I heard that weekend was said while we were on the subway, heading for dinner. Two well-spoken men were having a conversation, but when we approached a subway platform near midtown, one of them looked over and said, "Stupid Santas. I hate them."



For dinner, we met up with some friends at Yakitori Totto. The food was good but I was expecting life-altering yakitori. Alas, it wasn't to be. Three of the things we ordered: tuna and avocado salad, chicken skin and galbi. 


Next, we were off to Radio City Music Hall to see The Rockettes' Christmas Spectacular. How can this show not get you into the holiday spirit? 


We were able to make it to the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree five minutes before they switched off the lights! 


Christmas smooch!


Late night dessert at Kyotofu in Hell's Kitchen rounded out our evening. I had no idea that Japanese tofu desserts existed, but they sure were yummy! I had the warm chocolate mochi cake. They also gave us green tea cookies afterwards, which were not exciting. 


The next morning we had brunch at Cafe Luluc before heading home. Here's my spinach and goat cheese omelette.


Until next time, NYC!

Aloft New York Brooklyn
216 Duffield Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201

Bijan's
81 Hoyt Street
New York, NY 11217

The Green Table
75 Ninth Avenue
New York, NY 10011

Yakitori Totto
251 West 55th Street
New York, NY 10019

Kyotofu (CLOSED)
705 9th Avenue
New YorkNY 10019

Cafe Luluc
214 Smith Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201

No comments:

Post a Comment