May 6, 2014

Imahan (Tokyo, Japan)

Trip planning often is not planning what to do but what to eat. Having a meal of sukiyaki was a definite "must-do" while we were in Japan. I remember having sukiyaki once before when I was young and it being an amazing food experience. But since sukiyaki is a hard dish to find in the U.S. due to the raw egg situation, I never really had it again.

We headed to Imahan in Takashimaya Times Square for dinner. After about a 15 minute wait, we were seated. Imahan had options for three different price levels of beef as well as set options. I decided on the lowest level beef for sukiyaki. Raisin Bread went in the other direction and got the mid-level beef shabu shabu set.

His dinner started off with some small dishes of salmon pate, baby squid and salad. You can see little hints of cherry blossom season in these dishes.


Next up was the sashimi course. 


For his third course, Raisin Bread received a fish stew, garnished with pickled cherry blossom.


Finally, it was time for the beef! Our waitress did the first preparation for us and then left us to cook our own food. 


The food was all beautifully presented and flavorful. The only complaint I have is that the portion of beef was so small. Raisin Bread only got four slices of beef and I only got three slices. 


I was obsessed with the pickled vegetables throughout our trip. Raisin Bread doesn't eat them, so lucky for me, I always got to eat twice as many pickles. Yum!


My pot of sukiyaki, which, in addition to beef, had noodles, scallions, mushrooms, tofu, chrysanthemum leaves, carrot and fish cake (I think). The sauce for sukiyaki is usually composed of soy sauce, sugar and mirin. 

After cooking, the beef is dipped in a bowl of raw egg before being eaten. Raisin Bread couldn't believe that I was eating this. He definitely thought I was going to get sick. I did not! The sukiyaki was so delicious, and the sauce was so fragrant.


For dessert, Raisin Bread got green tea ice cream. I love Japanese desserts for their slight sweetness. Not at all like American sweets, where you feel like your teeth are going to fall out.


I'm so glad I had the chance to have sukiyaki in Japan. I will be craving it for a long time to come. Maybe I will try making it myself one of these days!

Imahan 
Takashimaya Times Square Building, 14F
5-24-2 Sendagaya Shibuya-ku, Tokyo

No comments:

Post a Comment