Aug 23, 2012

Visit to Los Angeles: Art + Bread

While planning my trip to Los Angeles, one of my must-sees was Royal/T Cafe in Culver City. It was only while doing my research did I learn that the space would close this month for the owner to focus on other endeavors. Ever since Royal/T opened five years ago, it became one of my favorite spots to see interesting exhibitions in the city. You may recall that Hello Kitty had a birthday party there not too long ago.


We enjoyed a nice, relaxing lunch in the cafe before viewing "The Art of Cooking" exhibition. I had the afternoon tea which was a spin on traditional afternoon tea but with a Japanese influence.


Unfortunately, I was not that into the exhibit, but I do still love their small shop, which is always filled with fun and unique items. Hello, Mr. Lemon.


We continued our viewing of art at the LACMA. I spent many years living and/or working within walking distance to LACMA, which I can honestly say I took full advantage of. It remains very close to my heart.

Another reason LACMA is close to my heart is because Raisin Bread and I went there on our first date. He says the moment he knew he wanted to date me was when we were standing on the top platform of the BCAM Building, looking at the view of Los Angeles and the Hollywood sign and conversing.

This is that view. Needless to say, I love the LACMA.


Plus, it always has something new that I have never seen before, like this outdoor installation of yellow rubber tubing.


or this Matisse ceramic piece from Frances Brody's home


or this giant pool set


or hundreds of toy cars making up their own little city.





As we were leaving the museum, we noticed there were a number of food trucks parked along Wilshire Boulevard. I wasn't exactly hungry but when I saw the banh mi truck, I couldn't resist.



One final meal from my trip was UMAMIcatessan. The idea is six different concepts within a restaurant. Maybe like a street market or a food court?

Teal Goose - $12
Grey Goose vodka, fresh celery, kiwi and lime juices, truffle salt and a touch of sugar


I had never been to any of the Umami Burgers before so I thought it was necessary to order one. Not my favorite hamburger in the world but it also wasn't shabby. The bread was soft and the meat was juicy.

Umami Burger - $11
shiitake mushrooms, caramelized onions, roasted tomato, parmesan crisp, umami ketchup


There is also apparently a "secret menu" from which we ordered an item. I'm not sure what else you can order off the menu, but these tots were nommy.

Cheesy Tater Tots

Finally, as if we hadn't already gone overboard with unhealthy food. We decided to end with a foie gras and jelly donut from and a donut. Pure decadance. This was a few days before the foie gras ban was going into effect so there aren't anymore foie gras donuts in Los Angeles!


Until we meet again, Los Angeles! Miss you!

Royal-T Cafe (CLOSED)
8910 Washington Blvd
Culver CityCA 90232

Los Angeles County Museum of Art
5905 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90036

UMAMIcatessan (now Umami Burger)
852 South Broadway
Los Angeles, CA 90014

No comments:

Post a Comment