Jul 18, 2011

Birthday Weekend Round-Up

As I was walking to the Metro on my way to work on Friday, I thought to myself, "working on my birthday sucks." Then I remembered that growing up I had 18 years of not doing any work on my birthday and then I didn't feel so bad.

I also didn't feel so bad because Raisin Bread planned a lovely after work surprise!

We had dinner at Ristorante Piccolo in Georgetown. In my book, this is a pretty solid Italian joint. I ordered the veal piccata. Three thin portions of veal and a helping of vegetables. My only complaint was that the sauce was a tad on the garlicy side.


After dinner, we walked over to Brush n Blush for a painting class. We had previously looked into booking a class here but their calendar was fully booked for the remainder of the month. Raisin Bread stayed on top of it though and saw that there were two spots that opened up for this session. Brush n Blush offers a class every night where participants paint a specific painting. Tonight it was a picture of the Eiffel Tower. Très fitting! The "blush" part is that you it's bring your on booze.

This is the studio ready for us to start.


My first layer of paint on the canvas.


Me all done with my painting!


I would highly recommend Brush n Blush to anyone. I have never taken a painting class in my life so it was pretty intimidating to know that I would have to complete a painting in two hours, but as you can see, it was possible. Our instructor would have us stop after we completed certain portions of the painting so we could walk around and see what everyone else's looked like. It was so interesting just how different each one was, but they still all looked great. I would like to go again sometime now that I have a feel for how to use the different types of paintbrushes and know what acrylic paints can do. 

After our artistic moment, we went to Kafe Leopold for dessert. This place remains one of my favorite joints in DC. I have never had a bad order there. Since it was my birthday, I ordered my old stand-by: a fruit tart! Nom.


We made it home in time to pack our bags in 15 minutes before going to bed. On Saturday, we found ourselves in Bermuda! More on that later....


1068 31st Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007

Brush N' Blush (CLOSED)
3210 Grace Street
Washington, DC 20007

3315 M Street, NW
Washington, DC 20007

No comments:

Post a Comment